Sunday, August 23, 2009

I Can See The Music...

Two posts in one day!? I'm on a roll. Although, last night's one, though after midnight, I suppose technically sort of counts as yesterday. ANYWAY...

Managed to finally have a look at this link Derek sent me, and it is so damn aesthetically trippy. I could seriously watch it for hours. It's essentially sort of like what I've always imagined synaesthesia would look like if I were a synaesthete. I've heard it described as 'ribbons of colour' before, but the smokey effect just seems more natural. Before I continue, here's the video:



For those who're uninformed with the condition known as synaesthesia, here's a definition:

–noun
a sensation produced in one modality when a stimulus is applied to another modality, as when the hearing of a certain sound induces the visualization of a certain color.

Or, to put it more colloquially, it's like having the part of your brain that interprets sound hardwired to a windows media player music visualiser 24/7. As cool as synaesthesia would probably be once you've discovered what the sensation you're experiencing actually is, I can't imagine ever wanting to have been born with it. I can just picture myself getting incredibly distraught as a child and thinking I'm going crazy when I see these random colours floating about in front of me that no one else can see.
Getting past those initial stages though, it'd be pretty damn beautiful to behold, and probably incomparable to anything one of those computerised visualisers can actually produce.

Considering this condition is apparently caused by some sort of unique link developed in the brain of the individual between the parts of their mind that interpret sound and sight, what I find more intriguing are those synaesthetes who are able to visualise *taste*, as well as sound. I couldn't find the exact documentary that I heard this in, so I googled and found a different video if anyone is further interested (keep in mind that it's 45 minutes long, so you might only just want to watch a bit to see what I'm talking about):



What I find absolutely hilarious is that, in this new documentary I just googled, within the first ten seconds one of the synaesthetes says he hates hearing the name 'Derek' because it tastes like earwax, hahaha. Seems I've come full circle in this post, yet again, so I'll leave it there and let those of you actually interested to enjoy the videos. Truly a bizarre yet amazing condition.

Adios.

7 comments:

  1. Ben, you've too much time on your hands and too much relaxation in your head ;P
    I wish I could bludge >< *can't wait till tuesday*
    It's an interesting condition though, I remember reading about it once... it sounds... beautiful... you know? =\

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha I don't have time on my hands, I'm just not using said time properly. :P

    But yeah it does sound like an amazing condition to experience. I think I'd prefer the visual to the odd tasting one though haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that video is AMAZING. so pretty, and i like the music too.. having synaesthesia would be heaps cool of you could turn it on and off.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, yeah i didn't exactly go crazy as a kid ben *cough*. The colours don't "blind" you or anything. It's more of a...sensation really. I dunno, maybe i'm just not a real synesthete :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting post, thanks for the video =). I agree with you on having synaesthesia though, seeing things around you differently and having this synaesthetic experience when no one else sees it that way would be weird to find out.

    “Synaesthetes often report that they were unaware their experiences were unusual until they realized other people did not have them, while others report feeling as if they had been keeping a secret their entire lives, as has been documented in interviews with synaesthetes on how they discovered synaesthesia in their childhood.” [wiki]

    Anyway.. bye and good luck tomorrow (for maths 0.0)!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Luckily, I don't do maths haha. I wrote this comment just as you were walking into the exam. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. holy moly. i want swirly colours! so purdyyy.
    the first video reminds me of marble painting in pre school. except professional and prettier and way more skillful than anything i ever marble painted in my life.

    ReplyDelete