Sunday, August 23, 2009

Trials & Tribulations (& Team Fortress 2)

A pun AND alliteration in the blog entry's title!? Oh this is madness. Truly my wit is absolutely astounding.

Nothing particularly thought-provoking tonight - well, maybe. Who knows, maybe you'll find something of interest at the end of this post? I have no idea. It's 1:00 AM at the beginning of typing this so it's probably going to be a bit of a rambling recap of my absence, heh. Haven't exactly done a 'proper' entry since the music lyrics one, so let's see what happens.

Main reason for my lack of updates, obviously, is HSC Trial Exams, as I'm sure you've all struggled through (or are still struggling through, like myself). Problem is, due to my uber-sexy exam timetable, giving me almost a week's break between the first half and second half of my exams, I'm starting to fall into holiday mode despite still having two more exams PLUS two major works to do. 'Tis not good.

Due to this aura of the holidays engulfing me, I've recently become reacquainted with an old friend - Team Fortress 2. I suppose this post may deteriorate into a bit of a gaming-related ramble but bear with me.

One of the things that always appealed to me about Team Fortress 2 was that, despite mindlessly shooting at each other with no storyline or true purpose, like a lot of shooters on the market, the game actually had a great sense of humour and art style about it. Speaking of the art style in particular, compare it to the following:

Present-Day/Futuristic Industrial Wasteland Vs. Original Eras & Stylised Constructions.

Grizzled Macho-Man Archetype Vs. Characters With *Personality* & Distinct Aesthetics.

Grey scale & Craptastically Brown Surroundings Vs. *Gasp* Colour!

Considering the amount of shooter games on the market, none of them seem to entice me because they're all borderline the same. Aside from the weapons, they're all about grizzly macho-men in grey scale (or brown if they're feeling *adventurous*) industrial present-day or futuristic ruins. That's basically it for 90% of them. Team Fortress 2 is a tad more original in this regard though, with each character having a distinct personality beyond this overly generic isolationist 'bad ass' character archetype that seems to engulf the majority of shooters these days.

Essentially, rather than trying to project an overly 'mature' look about the game, which at this point most end up almost satirising themselves due to the saturation of the market, Valve dared to be a bit different with Team Fortress 2 and achieved this unique, aesthetically pleasing, charming, and humorous atmosphere about the game. The cartoon-ish motif mixed with the altogether insane violence, bodies literally scattering into a collection of bloody-yet-colourful limbs after exploding... It just stands out against this ridiculously over-the-top 'mature' market that most gaming seems to be geared toward at the moment. Though admittedly I've played my fair share of Halo, Call of Duty, and Gears of War, none of them held me, simply because they're all so generic at this point. Team Fortress 2 however, even if I take a break, keeps me coming back, simply because it dared to be different in its art style and characterisation - even if the gameplay is still reasonably similar to the common shooter (not completely, but it doesn't completely shatter the genre in any way).

Essentially, I guess I just wanted to get this point across that 'mature' games don't have to be ridiculously 'serious' in their tone, because it just ends up ridiculously bland and generic. Hell, this expands beyond games, really. It's often those multimedia works that develop their own style, rather than just emulating what they think they *should* portray, that appeal to me. Take Tim Burton for example - each of his films have this absolute distinct motif and feel to them that's incomparable, no matter how hard others may try. I'd much rather have things visually interesting than having the developer focus on creating five hundred levels of realism. If I wanted realism I'd just walk outside or turn on the news.

There's no need to completely throw out the rulebook and be different for the sake of different, but I'm glad they didn't fall into stereotypes - things are more interesting if you're a tad original.

Adios.

5 comments:

  1. glad you're back ben! mental romps ftw!!
    I agree pretty much completely. I am continually perplexed at the amount of money my brother's willing to fork out 100+ every so often for games that could be sequels to each other. They all have the same masculine-dripping protagonist encased in a couple tonnes of metal with the emotional range of a teaspoon. Oh, add onto that, this universal sense of "saving-the-world (or galaxy in some)-with big big guns"
    Most of the time my brother refuses to even take a walk outside, its better now that he's at uni i guess..but honestly, if you want reality, whats more real, a pixel-y stilted character or the real war-horror stories happening across the globe?
    Shouldn't games take you away to another world, to *escape* not emulate the violence we see everyday

    ReplyDelete
  2. The lack of actual reference to Trials and Tribulations disappoints me.

    You know why.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I'm sorry but it Phoenix Wright had no relation to what I was writing about.

    Still, the pun fit and I *was* talking about gaming, so eh, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I expect an Ace Attorney plug in your next post, then.

    ...You know why.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ....I second a Wright appearance in the next blog!

    Hm...yeah, I know exactly what you mean. GOW2 sucked...it was just so...done-before? And yeah, that does give TF2 some...personality. I personally dont like the gameplay too much, its VERY over the top, but it is interesting XD

    But, alas, thats what happens when an industry enlarges, it gets harder and harder to make original games.

    Shooter-wise, i still like Halo because it has a nice large fanbase, the mechanics can be changed, and the interesting game rules and maps that can be made etc....tis all good fun. Games like COD4 and GOW2 got boring...which will be interesting when Modern Warfare 2 comes out...i dunno how that'll be.

    I like...purpose? Like, okay, you slaughtered hundreds of noobs....why? Some sort of reward for my time/unbelievable skill =P. But, thats hard to implement fairly...etc.

    ReplyDelete