Sunday, July 26, 2009

And So It Begins...

Well, I'd never really been inclined to blog in the past - mostly because I'd come to the conclusion that 90% of it would just end up me ranting at the vast empty expanses of the Internet. However, my opinion changed after watching an interesting talk over on TED.com - it's a brilliant site. I've pretty much exhausted half of the archive of talks on there, with the content ranging anywhere from short, amusing pieces or lyrical musings to motivational, inspirational, and innovational speeches. Fuels the mind, really.

Anyway, one particular talk piqued my interest recently and coerced me into joining the marvellous yet somewhat overcrowded world of blogging. Specifically, a talk by one Mena Trott about how even complete strangers can take an interest in the random events in one's life and feel connected, despite little to no contact at all. Also, the notion that, after a great deal of time on this planet, many leave little to nothing behind, with her own grandmother (or at least I think it was her grandmother? I'd have to watch the talk again to check) leaving behind nothing more than a mere single photo. She goes on to say how blogs have changed all that.

For those interested (if anyone even reads this thing, heh), here is the talk in question - Mena Trott detailing blogs of the modern era:




In the world we live in, the vastness of cyberspace houses thousands upon thousands of remnants and snippets of individuals' lives which can be accessed by everyone and anyone who cares or takes it upon their self to look. I'd like to think that, even if I accomplish nothing of particular merit by the end of my life, that I've at least enjoyed myself and left something behind in some form - whether that 'something' is physical possessions, photos, or writings that are both on paper and virtual. Between my current and future possessions, multitudes of stored photos from the last few years in particular (when I suddenly got a bit snap-happy, though I'm desperately in need of a better camera at the moment), and the likes of say... Facebook, or now this blog, and whatever other endeavours of mine the future may hold, I'd hope that some sort of image of my life is left behind, even if only a brief glimpse.

So, that's what inspired me to finally get off my ass and write one of these things. As for how long it lasts - we'll see. Still, it could be a fun experiment. The whole idea of blogs always seemed somewhat cathartic to me anyway, so expect a rant or two amidst the sporadic and spontaneous ramblings that spring forth from my mind.

Now, my fingertips are *immensely* cold and it's just hit 2:00 AM... So I should probably be heading off to bed. At least I still get two more days to sleep in before school resumes.

Adios.

2 comments:

  1. yay. it's bernice!
    i can comment now!
    well, i'm glad i spent 18 mins watching that... while my sister screwed up cooking lunch(hehehe)
    i used to hate the idea of blogging, of people talking about such trivialities and expecting people to respond... but then i started a blog... and then i watched this...

    i really ought to stop reading so many superficial blogs (i.e. fashion) and read more inspirational/meaningful blogs.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know I'll probably venture into the more superficial ramblings of your average blogger at times, like my third post... it's a tad more superficial than the other two. But still, I'll try and keep things a bit more interesting and thought-provoking, if possible. The stuff on TED.com is seriously just inspiring. Even the trivial stuff still contributes to an overall image of me for the future at least, even if no one but myself looks back on it to remember who I was.

    ReplyDelete