Sunday, July 26, 2009

Orange Juice-Related Etymology

Well, I suppose I should explain the origin of the name of my blog, considering it may seem a bit... obscure at first. Anyone who reads this will most likely see it as a tad stupid, but I don't quite care heh.

Anyway, those who know me - friends and family - would know that I have a particular penchant for the popular breakfast beverage. Given the option, I almost always make a beeline or the orange juice over most any other drink, which has resulted in some questionable comments from the dentist. Apparently the acidity of all the orange juice I've consumed over the years may potentially damage my gums, and they recommended I reduce my intake of it. I can *try* to do so, and have tried, but I relapse quite often regardless. I still drink milk regularly enough to counteract it... maybe.

So, considering this is the one consistent interest in my life since a very young age, I figured that I might as well pay homage to it in the naming of this blog. A lot of my other interests and activities change and evolve but I can always enjoy a nice glass of OJ. However, there is one thing that irks me about this otherwise oh-so-wonderful beverage.

Pulp.

I cannot STAND the stuff. Always getting stuck in your teeth, or floating about in your mouth as you swish the drink around to the point where it makes you think something may have fallen into your glass. It's just terribly annoying, and I despise the texture and whatnot. Thus, I prefer the pulp-free variety. Additionally, most of the orange juice I consume - though not intentionally - ends up being concentrated. I've rarely squeezed my own orange juice.

Ah, delicious pulp-free orange juice. Courtesy of Wikipedia.

However, I'd like to think there's an extra meaning to it. The 'Concentrated' bit in the title I'd like to think is a tad ironic, considering I indulge in procrastination on a daily basis, heh. As for the 'Pulp-Free' element, well... I consider pulp unnecessary to the excellent beverage that is orange juice. Hence, I'd like to try and keep this blog free of any of the small, insignificant, or unnecessary elements of my life. Sure, if I go somewhere or do something of note I may document it, but I'd like to refrain from the pointless and annoying such as, say: "Today, I woke up and had a shower, followed by a toilet visit..." etc, because I quite simply don't see why I should bother writing that as most wouldn't even bother to *read* it.

Well, there you have it. The odd origins of my blog's title. I should probably head off and do something a tad more productive now though. Off to make Art!

Adios.

9 comments:

  1. what are you on about?! pulp is the best part!
    it makes orange juice completely edible. and chewy.


    (lynno)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha yeah I guessed it was you Lynno. But pulp is TERRIBLE, seriously. If I wanted something chewy I wouldn't be drinking now would I? Beverages are meant to not be chewy by definition haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. *Agrees with Ben, for once*

    I hate that pulp. Urrrgghh *cringes*

    It ruins the awesomeness of good orange juice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Clearly, you don't comprehend just how awesome chewy beverages can be.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bubble_tea

    ReplyDelete
  5. PULP! i dont mind it. i used to hate the stuff too. now i dont mind. its easier to drink without it. also WELCOME TO THE BLOGGING WORLD! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hahaha why thank you Julie, I shall see how long this lasts. However I must declare you a heretic for sympathising with the pulp-loving populous.

    Also, if it's chewy it isn't a beverage in my book. That Bubble Tea breaks the very laws of nature.

    ReplyDelete
  7. :D wooo! another blog to follow!
    i wanted to make one after reading julies for a bit...no time! probably after hsc
    btw >.>
    hows eng adv going? i havent done anything! and its in 4 days! kannagi...kannagi kannagi

    ReplyDelete
  8. ahhh, forgot to add, in relation to this enchanting etymology of the humble orange:

    i dont drink OJ

    ReplyDelete
  9. I choose not to respond to the English questions of a blasphemous OJ-rejecter. :P

    ReplyDelete