Monday, July 27, 2009

Felt-Tip Genocide

Thought I'd keep this one short and sweet, considering the length of the last post, whilst I do some end-of-holidays cleaning. Amidst the mess I collected up all the felt-tip pens I'd been using throughout the holidays on my body of work. Those things run out so quickly. I ended up counting an amazing thirty-three, give or take a few that I may have lost. It's ridiculous.

There was a purpose to this though. Despite having run out of ink, there is still a use to them. My whole body of work concept, which I won't go into *too* much depth here, basically revolves around minuscule problems such as frustration with stationary being blown out of proportion, then taking that on a literal level and showing the objects as monstrously large. Mr. Kirkby (my Art teacher) recently suggested, however, that considering the theme of my artwork I could use these seemingly useless dead pens to add to the artwork, commenting on my own frustration with them constantly running out during the body of work process. Thus, by the time I'm finished and have a mountain of pens to work with, I can experiment with some macro photography and portray them as monolithic in size as well, alongside the exaggerated felt-tip drawings.

Night falls on the battlefield as these ink-less brethren rest in peace.

Moral of the story: These wasted pens, for all I know, could prove to be integral to the final piece of art I turn in as my body of work, in addition to the ink they provided. Even things which seem tiny, insignificant, or useless can still have a purpose or be inspiring / intriguing, once you look at them for another perspective.

Guess I should resume cleaning though...

Adios.

3 comments:

  1. Wow. That was the weirdest theological rant about a miniscule tangent ever. Why didn't I get any artistical brainwaves while cleaning my room =(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eh I probably hyped it up a bit as I was writing haha, but I dunno that's sort of just what went through my head.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...eh, its pretty cool none the less! *looks around the room for ideas for film*

    Uhm...I dont think dragons will have an appropriate position in there. Unfortunately

    ReplyDelete