Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Money, money, money

It's not the most important thing in the world.

I was talking with a friend (I don't know if you're reading, but you know who you are) regarding future job security, and she was of the opinion that it was better to go with her head - i.e. secure herself financially, since she has two younger siblings as well and her parents can't keep supporting her - as opposed to going with something she's necessarily interested in. Now, she's entitled to her opinion, and I don't mean anything against her, but it really just provoked almost the polar opposite out of me.

I don't see how anyone could make a choice like that, especially if you detest the field/line of work you'd be moving into, just for the higher paying wage. I could never picture myself doing such a thing, my life would just seem so... unfulfilled. I mean, another friend brought up the point that, in order to pursue your interests, you'll need money to fund that. But, at the same time, you can still find lines of work that still link in some way to your field of interest, rather than completely uprooting your plans for the future and moving into a different area of work just to get financial stability.

If I *really* had to choose between the two, I'd rather be borderline homeless if I could still indulge in my interests. Sure it wouldn't be easy, but say... art for example, which I'm mainly looking into career-wise to get into graphic design or advertising, but... there would still ways of pursuing it, even if it was as simple as drawing with chalk on the pavement. I know the same can't be said for all careers, like it's not exactly easy for a homeless person to practice medicine, but there would be other avenues to either get into your preferred field of interest, or find some less financially-inclined way to achieve your interests and goals.

I just can't agree with the line of thinking that financial security is more important than what you love. Maybe I'm just a tad too idealistic or not thinking with my head enough, but it's only material possessions in the end. Unless you're using it to fund your interests and pursuits, I really don't see the point in indulging in a detestable career - I'll never understand how people do it.

Still, everyone is entitled to their opinion. This is just an expression of mine, and I meant no offense to those who disagree. Do what you will with your lives, as well... they're your lives. Live them how you please.

Adios.

6 comments:

  1. this is a good place for a break from work, as I feel mentally stimulated afterwards!! haha
    and yes, I do agree with what you've put forward! Money isn't the answer to all problems,unfortunately.
    But I do see a difference between financial security and 'cash-raking' Financial security is more like an extension of being an independent, responsible human being. For me at least, seeking financial security within your area of interest should always be an option. But then again, money can incite passionate emotions from individuals!! haha
    On following a 'detestable career' - it may be too simplistic to conclude make a conclusion like that! It might go back to the idea of responsibility... to one's familiy, for example.

    Anyway, can't believe I ranted for so long about nothing! Must be sub-conscious procratination...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, no it's all valid ranting. Hell my post was somewhat rant-ish anyway. I'm glad you find my rantings "mentally stimulating" though, makes me feel intelligent hahaha.

    But yeah in terms of the 'detestable career' remark, I suppose it *does* depend on context/dependees. Still, I don't think I could force myself down a road I don't enjoy. Oh well, different views.

    ReplyDelete
  3. my eyes are hurting...
    but that's besides the point!
    I can see both sides, your friend does have a valid point, securing financial security and independence gives you a sense of accomplishment and even joy! I mean,I don't particularly like my job but the fact that I don't have to depend on my parents makes me confident.

    idk... I'm always so *dichotomous* ahaha! used it! back to point,I can see how financial security is a major factor for your friend....but at the same time, I could not possibly force myself to do...say commerce or science in uni, GOD I would...idk! imploded/exploded/vegetate, I would rather stick it out, work several part time jobs to sustain my interests. but...in the end, we are idealists xD when you get to a point were you are about to be evicted and haven't had hot water for a while, you'd be complaining!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rather than money or happiness, humans naturally prefer peace of mind. Whether that comes in the form of financial security or from living your dream is inconsequential; both are just means to an end.

    If I had to choose though, I think I'd go for the money; perhaps because I tend to elicit so little joy out of anything anyway. Saying that happiness cannot be attained if you're not doing what you want is wrong at best and egotistical at worst.Just as there are other ways to pursue your dream career, there are also other ways to achieve happiness. Even if you hate your job, the money you earn from it can still go a long way in bringing joy; not necessarily to you, but to others too. Noblesse oblige and all that jazz, y'know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm agreeing with you again here Ben (omg what has the world COME TO?!?!?!)

    I don't know...I can't just sit around doing monotonous tasks just because they are essencial for "living large". I think the hours of NOT studying maths has taught me that XD

    I personally can only do something for years and years if I'm pretty crazy about it, and I find it interesting and fun. If that means I live in a small apartment for the rest of my life, then so be it, at least I'll enjoy work, and not dread every minute of it. Sorta like school. I like school, most of the times. Apart from the constant stress, but the classes are okay (Maths and phys aside, but thats because they are very...theory based subjects, and we arent working towards a goal on them, just learning).

    I dunno. Pay VS Intrest, I suppose. If only we could combine the two XD Skynet here we come? =P

    ReplyDelete
  6. the 'friend' you alluded toAugust 8, 2009 at 5:11 PM

    Well being THE friend, I agree with what Bernice said. 'But I do see a difference between financial security and 'cash-raking' Financial security is more like an extension of being an independent, responsible human being.'

    I'm pretty sure you are aware of how much I despise general materialism, but if you haven't been moved by the ramifications of this global economic crisis, then really, what can I say?

    I want to be an independent, that way I can be self sufficient and I don't have to rely on anyone, especially parents, for economic sustenance. The money can be spent in a philanthropic manner; I'm not going to be a rich snob. Haha, you didn't really do my side of things justice in the blog. :p

    I think the problem is, there isn't really anything to interest me to the degree that medicine does, and the things that do, you pretty much have to pass a similar obstacle (thus ruling these options out).

    I pertained to your romantic outlook when I was younger, but reality has struck. I would never reduce myself to a material, depressed prick, but I refuse to be homeless and put my education to waste if things don't unfold neatly this year.

    ReplyDelete