Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Another Com Bites The Dust

It seems, after eight years, that our poor little home computer has finally carked it. Sad, I know... I can sense the tears. Eight long years, of constraint frustrations and part replacements, resulting in what can only be described as an aging 'Frankenstein' of a PC. Everything had grown totally mismatched over the years, with the tower in particularly bad shape. Constant whirring and humming, the side slightly coming off at times from the shaking. All I can say is I'm glad I now have my laptop, heh. My brother randomly turned the computer on a few days ago and was met with a myriad of corruption errors and a ridiculously screwed up scene. After restarting a few times it managed to remain stable for a bit. So, of course I rushed in oh-so-heroically with my external hard drive and backed up as many files as I could, or at least those that were necessary. The thing was pretty much dead not long after.

Poor ol' Franken-puter... R.I.P.

But out with the old and in with the new, as they say. Within days we now have a brand spankin' new home PC. Considering I do most of my stuff, gaming included, on the laptop nowadays though, we didn't have to splurge massively on graphics and whatnot since mainly my brother and mother would be using it. Still cost a bit though, especially considering half the house has been falling apart lately. First the fridge, then the dishwasher, then some of the fuses in the back room's wall, and now the PC dying. To quote the Simpsons: "The crapshack is goin' to hell".

Case is quite funky, even if the metallic casing is a bit incongruous with the rest of the setup. Then again, it's far closer than the eight year old beige monstrosity ever was, heh. Because I know you're all just *dying* to see (he says with immense sarcasm), here it is:

Isn't she just positively glowing?

Isn't she beautiful? Her radiant fans... her sleek coat... oh, she looks positively magnificent. The guy at the store was nice enough too - better customer service too. Worked through every option and whatnot rather than just forcing the flashy and expensive on us. Presented pros and cons etc, answered questions perfectly. Also, apparently after the initial meeting when my mother and I went down to order the computer, he seemed to think I was ridiculously nice and well-behaved or something. When my mum went back down today to pick up the PC he was raving about how "well I'd been brought up" and how "nice and polite" I'd been, as opposed to most of the kids he sees come in with their parents, being ridiculously rude and even swearing at them right in front of him. As a result, he ended up giving my mum a free copy of Nero as a reward of sorts.

Guess it's true, good manners go a long way. Never know what will happen.

Adios.

3 comments:

  1. HAHAHAHHAH
    such a humble humble post ben ;)
    jokes! she is a pretty rad machine, ahhh! i could stare at that awesome vortex-y fan for ages
    i thought it was light-show ball thingy
    then you had to ruin it by saying its a fan!!

    and i know that feeling!
    even though you swear at the damn thing every time you use it, cursing its slowness/errors/faults/freezing-ness
    when its time to replace it;....its so sad :(
    you perversely miss the frequent rants and frustrating *ctrl + alt + delete*

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Still cost a bit though"

    See, if you had sought my advice, that wouldn't be the case. [Insert pun relating to your fancy new computer case]

    Also, I call dibs on Franky's corpse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...that looks pretty damn cool for something YOU will almost never use. What a shame!

    Oh well, now all you have to do is steal all the owrking parts and make something of it. Robot? Modern Art? Your choice xD

    ReplyDelete